Mr. Harts Creative Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Theory

Go down

Star Theory Empty Star Theory

Post  Gabriel O. Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:53 am

So, I was hesitant to post this because I was trying to put it into words that made sense. As we were reading through the story, I couldn't help but stop myself at page 75, where Ernest Hemingway wrote,"I am glad that we do not have to kill the stars." I thought to myself that this statement had to be a misunderstanding. The stars seen from the naked eye are actually dead, the explosion that is made afterwards called a "Supernova". So I thought that perhaps Hemingway was unaware of this.
However, I did some outside research and found something else. In the 1930's, the definition for the word "Supernova" was established, which means it was already previously discovered that the stars we see are dead. Could it be possible that Hemingway knew that the stars were dead? By knowing so and stating how he shows affection towards the stars, he may be implying that death is bliss and he is glad that it exists.
In hopes of finding something else, I continued to read on. Two pages later, my mind was blown once more. Hemingway reignited the subject of stars by writing,"I am as clear as the stars that are my brothers." This added a completely new twist to my theory. Hemingway's family had many cases of suicide. By connecting with the stars, he could be implyng that they represent his fallen siblings. If he is as clear as those who have commited suicide, does that not mean he has a mindset of what he plans to do?
Pretty intense stuff.

Gabriel O.

Back to top Go down