Mr. Harts Creative Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

borrowing money

3 posters

Go down

borrowing money Empty borrowing money

Post  SamBaki Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 pm

on page 18 " i think perhaps i can too. But i try not to borrow. First you borrow. Then you beg" i think this is something big, but i cant quite put it together.

SamBaki

Back to top Go down

borrowing money Empty Re: borrowing money

Post  DanielleL Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:41 am

I agree with Sam. I think he felt like he was losing his touch on writing and he was to scared or embarrassed to like ask other writers for ideas and always count on them to provide his ideas.

DanielleL

Back to top Go down

Post  VivianH Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:08 am

DanielleL wrote:I agree with Sam. I think he felt like he was losing his touch on writing and he was to scared or embarrassed to like ask other writers for ideas and always count on them to provide his ideas.

I think the old man is very independent and prideful. He is willing to continue living the way he is because he sees that it is not the end for him yet. "First borrow. Then you beg" this may imply that Hemingway acknowledges that he can not continue to solely rely on himself, so he must "borrow". Borrowing is when you rely on others because you need their help. Begging is when you know you're at the mercy of the others around you. Begging was absolutely the last resort

VivianH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum