Mr. Harts Creative Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The old man and the Sea Page (60)

3 posters

Go down

The old man and the Sea Page (60) Empty The old man and the Sea Page (60)

Post  AaronB Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:09 pm

"If he will jump I can kill him. But if he stays down forever. Then i will stay down with him forever." What i get from this is, if I could make sense of this idea, than I could have something to write about, but if the idea does not appear to me, than I have nothing to contribute.

AaronB

Back to top Go down

The old man and the Sea Page (60) Empty Re: The old man and the Sea Page (60)

Post  VivianH Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 pm

I can understand that.

I thought this statement was leaning towards Hemingway's suicidal thoughts because he felt that the fish's jump was the only thing that could save him, but if it ended up sinking (meaning death), he should might as well join it.

It seemed like an all or nothing kind of statement.

VivianH

Back to top Go down

The old man and the Sea Page (60) Empty Good pointt

Post  Kayla I. Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:34 am

VivianH wrote:I can understand that.

I thought this statement was leaning towards Hemingway's suicidal thoughts because he felt that the fish's jump was the only thing that could save him, but if it ended up sinking (meaning death), he should might as well join it.

It seemed like an all or nothing kind of statement.

I agree as well. It seems like catching this fish means so much to the old man; it is almost like his last hope. If the fish escapes he will no longer have the will to go on, because the feelings of hopelessness and failure will consume him. His persistence to try and catch this fish is consuming him, at this point if he lost it, his devastation might ruin him.

Kayla I.

Back to top Go down

The old man and the Sea Page (60) Empty Re: The old man and the Sea Page (60)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down