Mr. Harts Creative Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HAND CRAMPING

2 posters

Go down

HAND CRAMPING Empty HAND CRAMPING

Post  Jazmine P Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:25 pm

On pg 62 he refers to his hand cramping as humiliating and he compares it to others injuries and also on pg 71 he talks about his hands again saying his left hand has always been a traitor and he did not trust it.... does his hand represent something deeper than just a hand... idk but hope to find out Smile

Jazmine P

Back to top Go down

HAND CRAMPING Empty Re: HAND CRAMPING

Post  HannahW Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 pm

My friends and I discussed this in class today! One of them did research on religious symbols and found one relating to the right and left hand. I don't know if she mentioned it in the forum somewhere, but she found that the right represented reason and the left represented love so we reasoned that when the Old Man's left hand was cramped and useless that love betrayed him in some way. I was just found some more things in the bible pertaining to hands and I found this verse: Proverbs 3:16 "Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor." I was thinking that this could relate to the quote you mentioned from the book, that his left hand did not do what he wanted and that he didn't trust. So I made the conclusion that he tried to use his riches and honor accomplish something, or even his writing, but it didn't work out for him.

In summary, i think his hands could have a religious allusion along with a literal one.

HannahW

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum