Mr. Harts Creative Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

But there is only you

3 posters

Go down

But there is only you Empty But there is only you

Post  patrickc Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:09 pm

"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only you[the old fisherman]." "Thank you. You make me happy. I hope no fish will come along so great that he will prove us wrong." "There is no such fish if you are still strong as you say." "I may not be as strong as I think" I chose this dialogue because to me in a way its showing the boy trying to support the fisherman but the fisherman still being uncertain about being able to catch a big fish because he is weak. when i first read this section i was thinking that this could be a fan trying to support hemingway to keep trying to get a good idea to keep writing but hemingway was discouraged because he thought it was pointless to keep trying if after so long he had not thought of an idea. after i had thought of this i kept reading and came back to think about it some more and i then thought about it in a different way in which the boy could represent hemingways will to live in which there was still some aspect of him trying to get him to keep going and the old fisherman saying that he might not be as strong as he thought could be hemingway saying that he might not be strong enough to continue through life. please excuse any improper grammar as i am currently to lazy to go back and change anything lol!

patrickc

Back to top Go down

But there is only you Empty Wow,

Post  Kristine L Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:47 pm

I was wondering who the boy could be , and that actually makes a lot of sense.
I could see it being his will to live, like a personification.
This might also tie in with my other theory as well? Where I said that the boy (whoever or /whatever/ he may be) was the only think keep him alive.
monkey
That makes a lot of sense, though. Smile

Kristine L

Back to top Go down

But there is only you Empty Continuing...

Post  VivianH Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:27 pm

After the old man said "I may not be as strong as I think," he says "But I know many tricks and I have resolution."

This may be Hemingway having doubt in his abilities to keep on living or to continue writing, but the second part of the quote displays his hope and confidence to move forward. It's like him saying "I may be weak, but I still have more in me."

VivianH

Back to top Go down

But there is only you Empty response to vivian

Post  patrickc Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:07 pm

that very well could be i mean i didn't realy look into it but now that i am aware of it i can see how that could very well be the case study

patrickc

Back to top Go down

But there is only you Empty Re: But there is only you

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum