Mr. Harts Creative Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feelings of Isolation

4 posters

Go down

Feelings of Isolation Empty Feelings of Isolation

Post  Admin Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:35 pm

If Hemingway is trying to use the old man as an analogy of himself, then the fact that the old man fishes alone could mean that Hemingway also feels alone. One of the symptoms of depression is a feeling of being isolated. Maybe Hemingway felt like no one knew what he was going through.

Admin
Admin

https://mrhartscreativewrit.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Feelings of Isolation Empty Quote

Post  Codi J Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:21 pm

The quote "The old man's head was very old though and with his eyes closed there was no life in his life."(p.19) I believe this means by the way the old man looks at that point in time there is nothing left for him to do in his life.

Codi J

Back to top Go down

Feelings of Isolation Empty mhm

Post  patrickc Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:15 pm

when i read this section i thought that his exterior was now in a state of hopelessness in which since his eyes which previously said to have been full of life were closed he looked almost lifeless which i thought could be how hemingway was feeling towards the later years of his life

patrickc

Back to top Go down

Feelings of Isolation Empty Re: Feelings of Isolation

Post  AaronB Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:55 am

Codi J wrote:The quote "The old man's head was very old though and with his eyes closed there was no life in his life."(p.19) I believe this means by the way the old man looks at that point in time there is nothing left for him to do in his life.

yeah i agree with that one. He felt since he haven't caught a fish in 84 days that he had nothing to lose and his life was over. he had nothing to write about so he felt useless in life.

AaronB

Back to top Go down

Feelings of Isolation Empty Re: Feelings of Isolation

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum