Mr. Harts Creative Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hemingway almost died in Africa

2 posters

Go down

Hemingway almost died in Africa Empty Hemingway almost died in Africa

Post  Nicholas Riha Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:05 am

Hemingway had a near death experience in Africa that left him in pain for the remainder of most of his life. Anyone else notice that the old man has been to Africa(Page22) and he dreams about nothing but Africa(Page24). Seems significant to me, but what do you guys think about it?

Nicholas Riha

Back to top Go down

Hemingway almost died in Africa Empty Re: Hemingway almost died in Africa

Post  HannahW Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:08 am

I think the fact that he remembers Africa was really important, but I don't know where it says that he almost died there. To me it seems in the text that he really longs to go back to Africa and see "the long golden beaches and the white beaches, so white they hurt your eyes" (pg 24). It sounds like he has more fond memories of Africa rather than pain, but I could be wrong.

HannahW

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicholas Riha Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 am

HannahW wrote:I think the fact that he remembers Africa was really important, but I don't know where it says that he almost died there. To me it seems in the text that he really longs to go back to Africa and see "the long golden beaches and the white beaches, so white they hurt your eyes" (pg 24). It sounds like he has more fond memories of Africa rather than pain, but I could be wrong.

It is not the old man who almost dies, but Hemingway himself gets in two plane crashes while in Africa. The crash left him in pain for a good portion of his life.

Nicholas Riha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum