Mr. Harts Creative Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

so not realy an observation but a thought

2 posters

Go down

so not realy an observation but a thought Empty so not realy an observation but a thought

Post  patrickc Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 pm

while we were reading i thought of something that made me stop and flip out for like 6 minutes because when i came back to reality everyone else was like two pages ahead but what i thought of was that ive come to the conclusion that hemingway is not represented in one character/creature but in many. i find that the fisherman has many representations in which one is his love for writing and his carreer of writing, the other thing that i have picked up on is the great marlin that the fisherman has, when the fisherman first caught the fish he was strong and kept at a strong pace and then as time wore on it grew tired and it began circling closer to the boat, its death. so with the addition of all the crucifixion like injuries that the old man has gone through gabe and i came to the thought that the crusifix is used in many situations as a symbol for the afterlife, death, heaven etc. so i had come to the thought that the great marlin is hemingway, where he started strong and then as life continued he was writing and he kept writing more and more in this case writing is rtepresented by the fishes circling, as he writes more and more he begins to run out of ideas and as a writer that means death, his only joy is writing so he has nothing to live for if hes got nothing left so hes pretty much swimming towards death. then mr hart mentioned how people would check those on crosses to make sure they were dead, and that reminded me of the fact that many people began critisizing hemingways work more and more as he got older and more depressed people were pretty much putting him on a cross waiting for him to die. then as the fisherman stabbed the marlin to check it for its death, it is just like people checking hemingway to make sure hes done for good. this whole longwinded explaination that i provided isnt even all of the thoughts that were going through my mind earlier but theses are the ones that i can actually translate into words for others to understand

patrickc

Back to top Go down

so not realy an observation but a thought Empty RE: so not realy an observation but a thought

Post  Gabriel O. Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:24 am

I definitely see this observation, as well. My mind was blown away especially when Mr. Hart's Crucifix Theory is applied. Icing to the cake.

Gabriel O.

Back to top Go down