Mr. Harts Creative Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just a couple things i thought was different

3 posters

Go down

just a couple things i thought was different Empty just a couple things i thought was different

Post  Steve W. Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:07 am

I do not know why but I felt like when the boy and the old man had the beers the second time when they actually had dinner, i couldn't help but think it represented something. Also i looked past the fact of them talking about baseball, but they kept talking about it so maybe it can be associated with the new top writers in America or something? I don't know just something i thought was weird

Steve W.

Back to top Go down

just a couple things i thought was different Empty About the baseball thing...

Post  VivianH Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:43 pm

On page 17: The old man says
"The Yankees cannot lose."
"Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio"

I thought the Yankees represented Hemingway's writing career. The first quote could translate into "My writing is not done." (lose=done for)

The second quote could be Hemingway telling his fans to still have faith in his writing, that his writing is still great.
DiMaggio could represent Hemingway. Rephrasing the quote into "Think of the great Hemingway, he could do anything"

Does that make sense?

VivianH

Back to top Go down

just a couple things i thought was different Empty Why baseball?

Post  Kayla I. Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:57 pm

I also noticed how the old man and boy kept talking about baseball. I don't understand why though... it just seemed like every time the old man would try and talk about something else, the boy would redirect the conversation right back to baseball and insist that that be the topic of discussion. It's almost as if he wanted to keep the old man distracted from other thoughts.

Kayla I.

Back to top Go down

just a couple things i thought was different Empty Why baseball?

Post  VivianH Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Kayla I. wrote:I also noticed how the old man and boy kept talking about baseball. I don't understand why though... it just seemed like every time the old man would try and talk about something else, the boy would redirect the conversation right back to baseball and insist that that be the topic of discussion. It's almost as if he wanted to keep the old man distracted from other thoughts.
May be baseball is meant to represent one's determination and skill?

I know that Hemingway could have chosen any sport, but he chose baseball specifically. It could to be due to the fact that a batter has 3 chances before he is out. (unlike any other sport)

The boy keeps reminding the old man about the game, which could translate in him saying "You're still in the game. Remember you have a limited amount of times at bat. Keep your eye on the ball" This could be Hemingway's fans saying "Don't lose focus on you writing. You're still in the game."

I know it might be a bit far fetched...

VivianH

Back to top Go down

just a couple things i thought was different Empty Re: just a couple things i thought was different

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down